Monday, February 2, 2009










Kaohsiung is an ideal city. The streets are HUGE and traffic consists of taxis and mopeds. They are everywhere! At a street light we'd see at least 40 scooters all piled at the crosswalk line, ready to rev up and take off at the green light. It was quite hilarious and we actually raced them down the street on our BMX bikes. I think the locals thought that was funny too because a few times the rider on back of the scooter would take a picture of us riding along side them. The streets are lined with palm trees and planted flowers or bushes. There are large parks and relaxing coffee shops on every corner. Of coarse I'm talking about the main part of town in which we stayed (in a beautiful hostel for only $8 USD haha) because I'm sure there are dirtier parts, but for what we saw (and we did a lot of BMXing here) the city is wonderful. You can see much of the sky at any point downtown, something that can't be said about HK.
Here I experienced the most wonderful thing I could ever dream, a day and night filled with riding with about 20 Taiwanese BMXers who treated us like their best friends from the moment they met us. We rode the skate park (biggest and best I have EVER ridden riden in the US) and then we road street until the wee hours of the morning. At about 2 a.m. they took us to a restaurant to have some all you can eat and I had such a fun time. I took heaps of photos because everything was so special. The main guy we talked with (the only one who could speak english, and he did extremely well) worked for Odyssey (my fav company) in the Taiwan factory and had all these special prototype parts. He was super friendly and quite hilarious. He had such good english it was startling, apparantly he learned from listening to american music. He translated for everyone and told us what everyone wanted to say to us. They really looked up to us (we were really good for their riding standards) and everyone wanted to get pictures with us. I was beside myself after the night was over and they showed us the way home at 3:30 in the morning, what an amazing thing to happen to me!

2 comments:

Daniel Mortenson said...

Dang Nate, I don't think you could've planned that into your trip if you had tried! I can't wait to see more of the pictures you've taken. Did you get the Christmas pictures that I sent out to everyone?

Anonymous said...

Hey man. I'm a BMXer that lived in kaushiung for 4 months a few years back. Make sure you check out the park in Taichung (spelling), it's an xgames replical park.. HUGE. I'ts awesome. If there are any contests the locals will take you for sure. Everyone accomidates the foreigners.

Post a Comment